May 10, 2019 — Officers with the Montrose Police Department, along with deputies from the Montrose County Sheriff’s Office, will honor the service and sacrifice of area law enforcement officers and their families at the Montrose Police Week celebration held in Centennial Plaza, Wednesday, May 15, at 10 a.m.
The service is in conjunction with the National Police Week (May 12-18) celebration honoring law enforcement officers and their families throughout our nation for their continued commitment and sacrifice.
“The ceremony is a testament to the service our men and women in uniform do each and every day in our community,” Montrose Police Commander Tim Cox said in a city news release. “We would like to see as many people as possible come and celebrate the important work law enforcement officers do, not only in Montrose but in the surrounding communities.”
“The Montrose County Sherriff’s Office is proud to participate in this event,” said Montrose County Sheriff’s Office Lieutenant Ty Cox, also in the news release.
“Law enforcement officers and their families sacrifice each and every day to work to make our community a safer place. It is important to honor their efforts and remember the fallen not only on May 15th but throughout the year.”
Together the Montrose Police Department and Montrose County Sheriff’s Office will conduct a 21 gun salute. Montrose Mayor Dave Bowman and Montrose County Commissioner Sue Hansen will jointly read a proclamation announcing support for law enforcement officers.
Led by a presentation by the Montrose High School NJROTC, Montrose Police Chief Blaine Hall, Montrose County Sheriff Gene Lillard, and District Attorney Dan Hotsenpiller will speak about the continued commitment of law enforcement officers.
Information from City of Montrose press release by William Woody.
Area fallen officers:
- Mesa County Sheriff’s Office Deputy Derek Geer (posthumously promoted), 2016
- Montrose Police Sgt. David Kinterknecht, 2009
- Colorado State Patrol Trooper Jason Manspeaker, 2001
- Cortez Police Officer Dale Claxton, 1998
- Hinsdale County Sheriff Roger Coursey, 1994
- Montrose Police Reserve Officer Larry McMaster, 1983
- Delta Police Officer Steve Hensley, 1973
- Paonia Marshal John A. Stitt, 1952
- Delta Marshal Charles Pebley, 1928
- Delta County Sheriff’s Office Deputy Willis Davis, 1924
- Mesa County Sheriff’s Office Deputy Edward Innes, 1906