LEO Portal
Frequently-Asked Questions2019-04-05T14:10:22-06:00

Our staff is ready to answer your questions. Please check the office links in the top bar above for phone numbers and call one of our offices during business hours.

You can also get in touch with us by e-mail right from this page and we will get back to you.

Please check below for answers to the questions we receive the most.  Click the plus sign to view the answer to each question:

How do I report a crime?2016-11-08T11:10:09-07:00

Call 911 in an emergencyPlease call 911 in an emergency.  They can dispatch the proper law enforcement agency to respond to your call.  In non-emergency circumstances you may contact the law enforcement agency that has jurisdiction over the place where the alleged crime occurred.

How do I drop charges against someone?2016-11-08T11:13:24-07:00

In Colorado, criminal charges are brought against a defendant by the State in the name of The People of the State of Colorado. A victim or reporting party does not have the authority to drop criminal charges.

How do I make changes or additions to a police report?2016-11-08T11:16:40-07:00

If you need to make additions or corrections to a police report, you will need to contact the agency that originally took your report and file a supplemental report with them.

How do I get a protection order?2018-03-19T17:49:30-06:00

You may apply for a Civil protection order through the clerk of court. You may be able to obtain assistance from a community resource center, such as Tri-County Resource Center, the San Miguel Resource Center or Project Hope of the Gunnison Valley.

In all criminal cases except traffic matters, a criminal protection order is entered automatically once the case is charged and the defendant appears in court. This order is mandatory. The order may name one or more protected parties, and may include additional provisions such as no alcohol or illegal drugs, home exclusion and no contact. In domestic violence cases, every such order must include provisions that prohibit the use or possession of firearms and order the temporary forfeiture of all firearms and ammunition. As long as the case is open, the criminal protection order will remain in effect, including after sentencing. A protection order can be modified by the court.

How do I change or drop a protection order?2018-06-14T13:21:16-06:00

As long as the case is open, the criminal protection order will remain in effect, including after sentencing. A protection order can be modified by the court.

In domestic violence cases, if you are a protected party and you want to modify the protection order, you must submit a written statement as to why you want the provisions changed. In addition, the court may require that you meet with someone from a community resource center for an educational class on safety planning, power and control, and other information about domestic violence before a modification will be considered by the court.

How do I obtain copies of “discovery” from the DA’s office?2019-08-13T19:12:02-06:00

“Discovery” is the police reports, witness statements and other records capable of duplication and associated with a case.

An attorney of record, who has filed an entry of appearance on behalf of the defendant in the case for which the request is being made, or an employee of the attorney of record, may obtain discovery. Attorneys will be provided discovery electronically except for large media files which will be provided on discs or other storage devices.

A pro se defendant who is not represented by an attorney and has not applied for or requested the services of court appointed counsel (Public Defender or Alternate Defense Counsel) may request discovery. Unrepresented Defendants may pick up discovery in any of our four offices by following these steps:

  1. Contact by phone or e-mail the office that is handling your case and order discovery;
  2. You must inform us at that time if you intend to pick up your discovery in a different office than the one handling your case;
  3. Discovery will not be immediately available;
  4. When you are informed that your discovery is ready, you must personally appear with a valid ID such as a driver’s license during office hours. You will be asked to sign a receipt. There is no cost to obtain discovery.

Any other requests to obtain discovery must be submitted in writing and must include the case number to:

Office of the District Attorney
7th Judicial District
1140 North Grand Avenue #200
Montrose, CO 81401-3021

Or via email to mail@co7da.org.

What if I think the police or sheriff violated the law?2016-11-08T11:40:12-07:00